Thursday, June 19, 2014

Leslie's Pre-Wedding Henna Party

This is my friend Leslie.


She converted to Islam a couple years ago, and since then, her dating life has been very different. I'm not really sure how it works, but somehow without actually dating, she scored a husband whose family lives in Palestine (but he lives here in Memphis). And although they got married in the mosque last week (without telling anyone!!), she's having her official ceremony for friends and family on Friday night.

So tonight, Leslie's girlfriends threw her a henna party at the American Muslim Intercultural Network center. Leslie got henna on her hands first, and then the other girls had their turns. Cassi and I went to the party, but since the henna got started a little late and we had to work in the morning, we had to miss getting henna done on ourselves. But we did have time to eat!

I brought Muhammara, a Turkish red pepper and walnut dip, from The Vegan Table. This has long been one of my potluck standard go-to dishes because it's quick and always a hit. I brought pita chips for dipping.


Cassi made Baba Ganoush with roasted eggplant! It was so good and creamy. Cassi didn't like it because she's a weirdo with "texture issues." But trust me, it was delicious.


There was also a Pasta Salad with fresh cherry tomatoes, beans, and peppers.


And a fantastic Kale Salad with all sorts of goodies in it — black olives! sunflower seeds!


My favorite dish of the night were the Lentil Sambusas! These were stuffed with spicy lentils, and I could have eaten this whole pan. The girl who brought them said she always makes them with meat but since Leslie is vegetarian, she experimented with lentils. And it worked very well!


Here's my plate. There was also Guacamole, Salsa, and Tortilla Chips!


I'm not a fan of weddings, but I know my friend Stephanie is baking Leslie's vegan wedding cake, so I have to admit that I am looking forward to Friday night's festivities.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a yummy and fascinating time. I am sure your friend has a very interesting conversion story.

Asif Raza said...

This is so awesome. I missed the wedding ceremony. But we will make it up to them. I have known Leslie from the Masjid, and she is an awesome woman. I am so happy that she found a good Muslim Husband. This is the coolest, Leslie getting married, Henna party, and top it off with some good food. I am so proud and happy for my Muslim Sister. :-)