Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Easy Vegan Chicken & Cheese Quesadillas

Sometimes, a girl just needs a quesadilla. Okay, well, lately, I've found myself craving quesadillas quite often, and I'll order them in vegan-friendly restaurants or make 'em at home any chance I get.


I had some Follow Your Heart Fiesta Shreds that needed using.


And some Tresomega Nutrition Coconut Oil that was just begging to have something fried in it. It seemed like the perfect opportunity.


I also had Match Ground Chicken Without the Chicken and Ezekiel Food for Life Brown Rice Tortillas. The stars had clearly aligned.

First, I shaped some Match chicken into a patty. It comes ground, so you have to cook it in patty form first. Once it was browned on both sides, I chopped it up. You could really use any vegan chicken for this (Gardein, Beyond Meat, Soy Curls, homemade seitan) or, if you're not into plant meat, we can't be friends, you could always leave it out.

Then I heated the coconut oil in a skillet and sauteed some mushrooms and yellow bell pepper. This is organic, cold-pressed, extra-virgin coconut oil. If you're not familiar with coconut oils, the cold-pressed, extra-virgin kind is the kind that tastes like coconut. Some people reserve the cold-pressed kind for desserts and raw dishes that they want a coconut taste in. But I actually love cooking savory foods in cold-pressed coconut oil. The Tresomega Nutrition oil added just the lightest hint of fresh coconut to my sauteed veggies, but it wasn't overpowering.

I tucked the vegan chicken, FHY Fiesta Shreds, and veggies into a brown rice tortilla and heated over medium heat in a skillet for about five minutes on each side. The FYH shreds taste a little chalky when eaten raw from the package, but they're perfect after melting. And they melt beautifully. When the quesadilla was browning on each side, I covered skillet with a lid to help steam the cheese. That makes it melt better.


And then voila! I had a delicious quesadilla served with Tofutti Sour Cream and Mi Elote Mild Salsa.

3 comments:

foodfeud said...

It sounds funny to form a patty just to chop it up, but the results look delicious.
Not sure I've ever had a vegan quesadilla, crazy, right? I wasn't a huge fan when I ate cheese, but they do sound good.
Salsa dippage is a must.

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

I could do with one of these about now. Looks rad!

Marjorie said...

I totally made quesadillas yesterday! I used Go Veggie vegan cheese, which didn't work out too well, but it was yummy.
These look ridiculously good.