Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Original Sprout Haircare Products

Happy New Year!

Now let's talk about vegan haircare! A few weeks ago, I was contacted by a company called Original Sprout asking if I'd like to review their products. Before reading the entire email, I assumed they sold sprouts or maybe sprouting jars. But come to find out, they make vegan haircare and styling products. Just what I needed!

You see, I'm a hair girl. I don't care about shoes. Or fancy handbags. Or manicures. Or fashion. But I do care about hair. I've been known to change my hair color at least once every six months, and I'm constantly cutting it all off, letting it grow out, or trying something new. But I always end up with a style that requires a little extra work. I like products. In fact, if I leave the house without enough product in my hair, I feel kinda naked all day.

Anyway, it's hard to find good salon-quality vegan hair products. So I jumped at the chance to review Original Sprout's line. They sent me their Natural Shampoo and Deep Conditioner.


And their Natural Styling Balm. (UPDATE: This styling balm is NOT VEGAN. Thanks to a couple commenters for pointing that out! I received these products, assuming they were vegan since Original Sprout knew I had a vegan blog. But turns out the balm contains lanolin. The shampoo and conditioner are vegan though!)


First, I washed and conditioned with their products, and my hair felt great afterward. I have baby-fine hair, and too much conditioning leaves it flatter than flat. But Original Sprout's conditioner had just enough moisture to keep my hair from being dry (from all the dyes and other crap I've put in it over the years) without over-moisturizing.

Next, I tried the styling balm (because I thought it was vegan). I've been using Kevin.Murphy Gritty Business to texturize my pixie cut. It's cruelty-free and salon-quality. And while I love that stuff, I also loved the Original Sprout. It's a softer texture paste than what I'm used to. And I had to be careful not to use too much. A little goes a long way. But it was great for pulling out pieces of hair to give my 'do the choppy look that I love so much. Here's my hair after using all three products. (Sadly, I won't be using the balm anymore, but I'll be sure to pass it along to a vegetarian friend with great hair!).


By the way, my hair isn't that red right now. I wish it was! That was a filter in my Camera Plus app. Anyway, loved Original Sprout's shampoo and conditioner!

3 comments:

Marisa Rospos said...

Is the natural styling balm vegan? On their website it says "100% vegetarian." Some of their other products says "100% vegan" so it made me curious about the styling balm. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Love the vegan hair products! That is one thing I love reading reviews for that doesn't come up often - so glad you were able to get their products and review! (ps - blogged again and your blog is definitely one of the ones I mentioned I still read even though I don't post as often. :()
Hope you had a great new year!

Anonymous said...

Marisa - the ingredients section of the website says the balm has lanolin from wool, while all other ingredients are vegan.
https://www.originalsprout.com/ingredients