Monday, November 18, 2013

The Great Pumpkin Potluck

It's time once again for the wrap-up of our monthly vegan potluck! Each month, my friend Leslie organizes a fun potluck for all of our vegan friends. And sometimes, like last month, it travels to other people's houses (last month, we made it my birthday potluck at my house).

We had our potluck on Friday night, and month's theme was PUMPKIN! And when Leslie dreamed up the idea last month, it sounded like it was gonna be the best. Who doesn't love pumpkin???

Apparently, lots of our friends don't love pumpkin. And lots more have babies with baby problems (sick tummies, no sitter). So turnout was low this time around. But the food we did have was awesome. I apologize in advance for my crappy pictures though. The lighting was low, and orangey pumpkin foods don't do well in low lighting.

I made Pumpkin Chili, and I fully intended to take a lovely daylight pic of my leftovers today, topped with avocado and hot sauce. But I forgot! So here's what you get — a crappy picture of a delightfully hearty chili of white beans, pumpkin, quinoa, peppers, carrots, and spices. I used this recipe from the Inventive Vegetarian.


Leslie always makes something fun and exotic. This time, it was Afghan Pumpkin —sauteed pumpkin with tomatoes and spices. So good!


And she made this crazy awesome Afghan rice. I can't remember what it was called, but the rice was soft yet crunchy. It's hard to explain, but it's probably the best rice I've ever had.


Greg claims to hate pumpkin though he certainly cleaned his plate of chili and Leslie's pumpkin dish. So even though he was required by Leslie's rules to bring a pumpkin dish, he totally cheated and brought stuff to make Vegan Tacos — homemade TVP "meat," tomato, lettuce, salsa, and soft and hard shells.


Leslie also made an Afghan Hot Sauce that had a nice tomato-garlic base. I put some on my tacos, and since she sent me home with leftovers, I've been using this stuff all week!


For dessert, Leslie made a Pumpkin Cranberry Bread. This moist bread was flecked with pepitas and dried cranberries. I could have eaten a whole loaf.


But thankfully I didn't, because Nic walked in the door with this Vegan Maple-Pecan Pumpkin Flan just as everyone was about leave. Of course, I had a slice.


Even with a small turnout, we ended up with full bellies. I'm pretty certain my friends who think they hate pumpkin have just never had it in a savory dish. Or they're crazy. Either way, more for us.

4 comments:

Lizzie Bordello said...

Some of that Afghan pumpkin over the rice sounds incredible as I sit here on this cold day!

Sarah said...

What a perfect theme for a potluck this time of the year! Everything looks fantastic! The hearty savory dishes look perfect for chilly fall days and oh man those desserts look heavenly!! Looks like you guys had a great time!

foodfeud said...

Whooaaaaa that flan

Jenna said...

I just had to come back and comment on this post (I usually read your blog from my phone and it is too difficult to comment like I want to!) Anyway, every year for the past 4 years I've had an annual Pumpkin Party. It is a potluck and I encourage everyone to bring sweet or savory pumpkin dishes to share. Every year I have made the Pumpkin Baked Ziti from Veganomicon and every year it is such a hit and people freak out that it is vegan! I love that! :) Your party here looks awesome! I wish everything everyone brought to mine was vegan. Each year I contemplate asking them to only bring vegan dishes but then I don't because I'm afraid it will scare people off. I've also contemplated having it NOT be a potluck and I just make a boatload of vegan pumpkin things to share... but that scares me off! :) The good news is that every year more and more of my non-veg friends are making the effort to bring vegan dishes. :)