Sunday, October 13, 2013

Nacho Birthday

It's nacho birthday. It's my birthday. Get it? Okay, maybe it's your birthday too. If so, happy birthday! Libra power! Anyway, it's technically not my birthday yet.

On Wednesday, I'll be 33. But I celebrate Birth Week rather than one little ole day. My week of festivities kicked off today with a birthday celebration with my family in Jonesboro, Arkansas. This morning, Paul and I made the hour-long drive to my parents' house, where we met up with mama, daddy, granny, and me-maw.


A few days ago, my mama asked me what I wanted her to cook for my birthday. I requested a nacho bar! I expected she'd have a few basics, but she went ALL OUT. I couldn't even fit everything into one picture.

There was chips, Spanish rice, black beans, refried beans, Daiya cheese, Gimme Lean vegan burger crumbles, vegan sour cream, guacamole, olives, tomatoes, lettuce, jalapenos, green onions, and salsa.




I piled my nachos high with every vegan option available. This was soooooo good. I wish I could eat nachos every day. I think my favorite part of this meal though was my mama's homemade guacamole. Damn, that woman can make delicious guac.


In keeping with the Tex-Mex theme, my mama made vegan Margarita Cupcakes! Limey, tangy, and delicious.


After our lunch, it was present time! I got a new Mio Active calorie-counting watch (my old one was dying), money to buy new running shoes (for when my foot finally heals and I can run again), clothes, a new scarf, salt and pepper shakers, a silver bracelet, an avocado smasher (so I can make guac like my mama), and a dip platter for parties.

I was supposed to have run my first half-marathon today. I signed up for the Shelby Farms Greenline Half months ago, but my stress fracture hasn't totally healed yet. I'm so glad I got to spend the day celebrating with my family rather than being all sad that I can't run.

7 comments:

tamara said...

Happy birthweek!! I still think it's so sweet that your mom is such an amazing vegan cook and how much effort she puts into making awesome meals when you visit!!! My mom stocks up on veggie burgers when I come home and it's basically catch as catch can.

Lesley Eats said...

Happy birthday! Libra power! Mine was two weeks ago, but I celebrated in Memphis last week. Didn't think about it soon enough to get into Restaurant Iris, but did go to Flight, where I had a (mostly) vegan meal. :)

Sheridan said...

Yay!! Birfday! Birfday! Birfday! I love nachos so much too and this nacho bar looks awesome! Can't wait to see you this weekend!

Megaera said...

Libra Power is right! Mine was just over a week ago. Have the best, best birthday week!!!

foodfeud said...

Fantastic spread. I'd eat all the guac first. Then the cupcakes :) Happy almost birthday!

Sarah said...

Happy almost birthday!!! The nacho bar looks incredible! What a fun idea! And the margarita cupcakes look delicious as well. What a fun way to kick off birthweek! I hope you enjoy the rest of your festivities and Happy Birthday on Wednesday!

Lauren said...

Happy birthday week!!!

(and sorry about the foot and half marathon, that suuuuucks but just give it time).