Thursday, June 21, 2012

Fried Rice Goes Indian

I've been on a fried rice kick lately. In the past month, I've ordered veggie fried rice takeout twice, and I rarely ever order takeout. When I do, I tend to go for the saucy fried tofu and white rice dishes. But here lately, I've just been craving that salty, greasy, MSG-laden fried rice.

Of course, fried rice doesn't have to be salty, greasy, and loaded with MSG (although it tastes so sinfully delicious when it is ... hey, this is coming from a girl who had chocolate cake for dinner). Anyway, it's nice when I can make guilt-free fried rice at home because I don't have to feel like a blob after eating it. I love to eat junk, but I have major food guilt afterward.

When I saw Colleen Patrick Goudreau's Indian Fried Rice recipe in the Vegan's Daily Companion, I knew I had to try it. It's like my two current fave things — Indian food and fried rice — had a baby!


Made with brown rice and only fried in a tablespoon of oil, this rice is something you won't have to feel guilty for eating. It's seasoned with cumin seeds. Can you believe I just recently shelled out the money for these? Before, when recipes called for cumin seeds, I'd just sub ground cumin because I was too cheap to buy the whole seeds, and I figured they'd taste the same. But no way! The cumin flavor from roasting the whole seeds is soooooooo much better!

Anyway, the seeds, turmeric, and some garam masala (I make my own from scratch) are where the Indian flavor comes from. Plus, it's loaded with veggies: cauliflower, red bell pepper, peas.  I served the rice with some Indian-spiced lentils.

What food kick have you been on lately?

12 comments:

Cadry said...

What a treat to read your review! That is one of the recipes I contributed for her book. (The other was chickpea tacos.) I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed it!

AlwaysJoy said...

What an awesome looking plate!!!
I am on a huge green monster kick

Barb@ThatWasVegan said...

I love, love, love fried rice! And I love Indian food, so I'm going to have to give this one a try for sure! The only food kick I've been on lately has been "grilled foods", cause it's really too hot to turn on the oven!

Anonymous said...

wow this sounds so delicious! and so colorful too! beautiful!

Des said...

Chopped dates! I put them in oatmeal, i put them in stir fry, in burritos, i steam them with Brussels sprouts,i add them into my baked goods... I put them in everything and they rock my world!!

Monika {wcv} said...

My family's dinners have been a steady rotation of grilled kebabs, grilled pizzas, and pineapple fried rice. I only use ~2 tsp oil when making my fried rice, and also quickly figured out that whether I have 2 cups or 6 cups of fruits/veggies, I only need to add 1 cup of grains. Knowing I don't need to use grains or oil to excess means guilt-free stir fry any night I want it!

sarah@thesweetlife said...

I have been getting large farm shares every week and the seasonal produce determines what i eat each week. it actually forces me to be much more creative than i otherwise would be.

and_i_say said...

The Unfried Rice recipe in Appetite for Reduction uses just a tiny amount of sesame oil and is super easy to load up with vegetables. I'd highly recommend that recipe with the Hoisin-Mustard Tofu Lettuce Wraps recipe.

Now to get a copy of this Indian fried rice recipe! Looks awesome!

Tender B. said...

It is much prettier than the Chinese version for sure.

Jess of Midwest Vegan said...

Wow. Indian Fried Rice is such a good idea! I'll have to keep that in mind when I get on my next Indian food kick.

My food kick has been stir fry, especially Thai-style ones. Mostly because it's too hot to turn on the oven, but also because I've been craving things like tropical fruits (especially mango!) and hot peppers. I've made some really good ones lately! I've probably ate stir fry once a day for the last three weeks, lol.

Erin said...

That looks really tasty! I always forget how amazing cumin seeds are, even though I have some in the pantry. I've been on a smoothie kick, having one for breakfast every weekday for the past few months. Getting a Vitamix for Christmas certainly helped!

Justin (Lotus Artichoke) said...

Hi Bianca! Looks very tasty! That's cool that you make your own garam masala and have learned the difference between ground cumin powder and fresh ground cumin. It took me years before I found that out! Have you ever had Veg Biryani-- it's more or less Indian fried rice, but more "traditional".