Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day Breakfast

For the past few years, we've grilled out at my parents' house every Father's Day, but this year, my parents decided to shake things up and do breakfast instead. There aren't many vegan breakfast options in Jonesboro (where they live), so they made the trip to Memphis to eat at Brother Juniper's, a locally famous vegan-friendly brunch spot.

Now I've blogged about Brother Juniper's before, so if you've heard this, sorry! But I have a lot of new readers, and they should know about the awesomeness that is Brother Juniper's. Plus, they should know about the awesomeness that is Papa Crunk. Here we are waiting for our table:


This place is sooooo popular that we waited for one hour for a table! We thought we'd beat the religious folk by arriving before church let out, but apparently, everyone else had the same idea. When we FINALLY got our table, our food came pretty quickly. And as always, it was so worth the wait! I got my usual — Fahim's Special (scrambled tofu with green and red peppers, green onions, tomatoes, portabella mushrooms, kalamata olives, and a special dressing):


Brother Juniper's tofu scramble is unlike any other I've had before. It's those whole kalamata olives, huge portabella slices, and the secret vinaigrette-based sauce that make all the difference. I'm really not sure why I don't add kalamata olives to my scramble every time! The Fahim's Special comes with at least a pound of tofu scramble (I have serious leftovers!), plus multigrain toast, homemade jam, and home fries. Check these out!


The home fries are always perfectly super-crisp. They must use some kind of garlic salt because they're gloriously garlicky. I smothered mine in Brother Juniper's signature Garlic Habanero sauce after snapping this picture.

My mom always orders Fahim's Special too. My daddy eats meat, so he got a big ole plate biscuits & gravy, ham, scrambled eggs, and pancakes. My partner Paul ordered the same. Excuse the meat in this picture, but I had to snap one of him stuffing his face with a pancake!


Papa Crunk is awesome! He's a badass biker, as you can see by his choice of attire. But he's not some hard-edged scary biker (though he might not want me telling you that!). Instead, he's as kind as can be, always going out of his way to do favors for people whether he really feels like it or not. He's even helping me buy my first house by paying the down payment! I've always known that I have the best parents in the world. They were always the cool parents who didn't set too many rules and allowed me to have plenty of independence while still being great parents. I know parents are the luck of the draw, but I hit the jackpot with mine. Anyway, you're the best daddy ever, Papa Crunk!!

10 comments:

VeganLinda said...

Your parents sound awesome! Happy Father's Day to Papa Crunk!

Anonymous said...

aw so fun! looks like you guys had a great time and a delicious meal! thanks for sharing!

Barb@ThatWasVegan said...

Now I'm craving crispy, garlicky potatoes! :)

xvavaveganx said...

Looks like you had a great father's day! That place sounds so yummy and that tofu scramble is amazing! I'm so jealous! And the potatoes look perfectly crispy. I love really crispy potatoes :)

Allysia said...

I didn't mention this before but I love your new haircut! And your dad sounds awesome, looks like you had a good father's day. :)

Jesse @ Happy Go Lucky Vegan said...

Papa Crunk sounds like a great dad!! So glad you all had fun - and I'm loving the new hair color.

mshrcfit said...

This post makes me happy, B!

Sheridan said...

Aww, Happy Father's Day to Papa Crunk!! Love your parents! And you're right, they always have been the coolest parents. Yayyyy!

Lesley Eats said...

I love Brother Juniper's! I miss it a lot. I used to live a street over, but back then (in college), I had no money to eat out. :)

Tender B. said...

Sounds like a great dad. Those home fries look great. I can see why a drive was in order for your parents.