Thursday, May 17, 2012

Portabella Stroganoff

Beef stroganoff originated in Russia in the 19th century, but it rose to popularity in the U.S. in the 1950s. Wikipedia has a theory:
"After the fall of Imperial Russia, the recipe was popularly served in the hotels and restaurants of China before the start of the Second World War. Russian and Chinese immigrants, as well as U.S. servicemen stationed in pre-Communist China, brought several variants of the dish to the United States, which may account for its popularity during the 1950s."
No matter how it got here, stroganoff was here to stay. People still love this creamy mushroom dish, so I figured I had to include it in my new cookbook project veganizing retro recipes. But rather than substitute a vegan beef for the cow beef, I decided to make Portabella Mushroom Stroganoff:


The sauce is made with white button mushrooms, just like in the beef version. And portabella strips stand in for the beef strips. So this is one mushroom-y dish. I served mine with sauteed chard seasoned with soy sauce, mirin, and olive oil.

6 comments:

Caitlin said...

i love mushrooms! this meal looks delicious!

Black Diamond said...

It looks so yummy!! Did you post the reciepe?? I really have enjoyed reading your blog!

Jennifer said...

I'm going to need you to finish that cookbook...NOW! I'm a sucker for stroganoff!

Anonymous said...

Nice!! Love it.

Eileen said...

Mushroom stroganoff is absolutely one of my favorites...looks wonderful!

Jess of Midwest Vegan said...

Yes! I'm down with the mushrooms in this version. That recipe sounds great! I've never actually ate stroganoff but I would definitely gives yours a try.