Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Calico Coleslaw

As I've mentioned a few times before, I've started work on my next cookbook project — a collection of veganized retro recipes from the 1930s, 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s. I've only just begun, but I've managed to create a few vegan adaptations of recipes found in old cookbooks or on websites devoted to vintage food.

Awhile back, I made this simple, veggie-heavy Calico Coleslaw, adapted from the 1965 Better Homes & Gardens Vegetable Cookbook:


Since I don't have a publisher or contract for this one yet, I can share a few recipes if I want. So I'll pass this one along to you guys.

Calico Coleslaw
----------------------
4 cups shredded green cabbage
1/2 cup vegan mayo
1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1/4 cup green pepper, minced
1/4 of a white onion, finely minced
4-ounce jar diced pimentos, drained
1 tsp. salt

Mix everything together in a large mixing bowl. Serve immediately or refrigerate.


9 comments:

Caitlin said...

that looks so yummy! i love coleslow ;)

Joy said...

Have you considered self publishing - you can do it on the kindle pretty easily (I'm being FYI I want this cookbook and there are not many cookbooks I will deem worthy of owning...)

JL goes Vegan said...

Coleslaw with corn! Love it!

Julie said...

Yum! Reminds me of coleslaw I used to eat as a kid....haven't had it in years / forgot all about it. I'll make it tonight, thanks!

Scissors and Spice said...

That is very Pennsylvania Dutch (who are actually not Dutch, but German) looking!

Barb@ThatWasVegan said...

I've never heard of corn in coleslaw, but it sure is pretty!

Sophie K said...

dude, veganizing vintage?! brilliant. what's the ETA on this cookbook?

Lesley Eats said...

I love retro recipes! My favorites come from old church cookbooks.

This is a fab idea, too. I wonder why this didn't stay popular?

Anonymous said...

Will def have to give this a try. Love the addition of corn! :)