Monday, April 16, 2012

Vintage German Breakfast

So I mentioned a few weeks ago that I'm slowly, but surely developing recipes for my next cookbook project: a collection of veganized retro recipes from the 1940s, 50s, 60s, and 70s. I'm going through old cookbooks and pouring over websites dedicated to preserving the non-vegan versions of those old recipes. And then I'm putting my vegan spin on them.

I came across a few recipes for Bauerfruhstuck online, a popular German "farmer's breakfast" from the 1950s. It probably has origins before the 1950s, but it appears to have been quite popular mid-century. It's basically a hearty omelet made with potatoes and ham or bacon. You saute the potatoes and meat and pour the scrambled egg over the top and let it cook without stirring.

So I made a yummy vegan version with tofu, fried potatoes, and sliced homemade vegan sausages. Here's my German Farmers Breakfast before cutting into four servings:

Over on Retro Housewife, a fun website dedicated to old-school recipes, I found a bauerfruhstuck recipe that included a side dish of tomatensalat (or tomato salad). A simple salad of fresh tomatoes, scallions, oil, lemon juice, and agave sounded like the perfect complement for this hearty meal:

Confession: I actually had my Farmer's Breakfast for dinner, or I guess, brinner. My mom used to cook breakfast for dinner on occasion, and even though I love hearty meals in the morning, they're even better at night.

I'm open to suggestions for retro recipes to veganize. In fact, I've been taking notes on the things the characters eat on Mad Men! Any other suggestions?

10 comments:

James said...

I always liked chicken-a-la-king when I was a kid. My Mum would make a big batch and serve it over rice or mashed potatoes.

gulaschkanone said...

Delicious looking dish. But just for yourinformation: the right name of the dish in german is Bauernfrühstück (Bauernfruehstueck). Nice idea for a cookbook, I personally never came across a concept like this, but I like the simplicity of the meals.

Caitlin said...

i love seeing meals from other countries! that looks incredibly hearty! but, breakfast is the most important meal of the dayyy! ;)

Unknown said...

If you're interested, a have a recipe for a norwegian classic called "komle". It has many other names too, depending on where in Norway you are. It's basically a big ball of potato with a filling of meat, bacon or some other greasy disgustingness in the middle ;)

Anonymous said...

You should check out the show "The Supersizers Go..." they go to a bunch of different eras (the 50's, the 70's etc...) and for a week they eat the food just like it was then. It might give you some ideas for fun recipes!

xvavaveganx said...

That meal looks perfect!! I love breakfast for dinner so I'm right there with you. The tomato salad sounds like the perfect side!

Can't wait to see more from this project. Sorry I don't have an recs for you but I'll definitely let you know if any pop up!

Shannon said...

I LOVEE breakfast for dinner.

Jesse @ Happy Go Lucky Vegan said...

This looks great! I love veganizing old classics too -- and I'd love to see vintage casserole veganized.

Wendy said...

Veganize Beef stroganoff or poppyseed chicken! My mom used to make these all the time when i was a kid.

Sonia M said...

My dream cookbook! Vegan retro. Love it.