Friday, April 27, 2012

Tortilla Soup + Grilled Cheese

Last night, I reviewed 350 Best Vegan Recipes by Deb Roussou. This book is loaded with delicious vegan recipes that might actually be among the best ideas I've seen in awhile. When I saw the recipe for this Sopa de Lima, I knew I had to try it:


It's a vegetable soup loaded with zucchini, red peppers, corn, potatoes, tomatoes, jalapenos, and lime juice. And that's topped with cilantro, tortilla strips, and avocados. Can you ever go wrong with that combo? No, no, you can't.

And any vegetable soup calls for a grilled cheese on the side, right? Luckily, I had a new package of Daiya Wedges in Cheddar Style. So I sliced it up, stuck it between some Food for Life Ezekial bread slathered with Earth Balance Coconut Spread, and toasted it in my panini press. Check out that gooey meltiness!


Sorry for the short post, but my vegetarian group — Food Awareness — is holding a bake sale for the Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale tomorrow, and I still have lots to do before I can slumber. Miles to go before I sleep, guys. If you're in Memphis, stop by on Friday night from 6 to 9 p.m. at 520 S. Main during the South Main Art Trolley Tour. We're offering a slew of delicious vegan baked goods (cupcakes, cookies, brownies, blondies, macaroons, you name it) in exchange for donations to the Humane Society of Memphis & Shelby County.

5 comments:

Caitlin said...

that grilled cheeze looks delicious! i can't wait until the daiya wedges are in my whole foods!

Cubicle Hippie said...

How does this book do with gluten free and soy free recipes? Are there many or few? I picked up Let Them Eat Vegan which has really good options for both but I haven't found too many other books that are that helpful.

Barb@ThatWasVegan said...

I bought a bunch of those wedges, but so far I've only tried the havarti... gotta make a grilled cheese this weekend so I can try out the cheddar!

foodfeud said...

God, yes, that soupd DOES sound perfect. As refreshing as a warm soup can be.

tender b. said...

One of the best tortilla soups I've seen.