Sunday, April 15, 2012

Power Snack

I wish I was an early morning workout person, but I'm not. Getting out of bed a moment before it's necessary is something I can't even fathom. So I hit the gym or the running trail after work. The long break between lunch and my post-workout dinner means I must have a pre-workout snack. But my snack has to be light and fairly healthy, so I don't get a tummy-ache during my run or boxing class.

I usually opt for a smoothie, whole grain crackers and hummus, or an energy bar. When Nativas Naturals offered me some free samples of their new Power Snack bites, I knew exactly what I'd be using those for. These all-natural, raw energy snacks come in three flavors: Cacao Goji, Citrus Chia, and Blueberry Hemp. They sent me the Blueberry Hemp Power Snacks, and seeing as how I love hempseeds and blueberries, I was more than happy to try them out:

These are made with date paste, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, cashews, dried blueberries, sesame seeds, hemp powder, maca powder, lucuma powder, maqui powder, natural blueberry flavor, and camu camu powder.

I popped four bite-sized power snacks before my afternoon run. Four bites stacked end to end was about equal to the size of a Larabar, one of my favorite pre-workout snacks. These bites staved off my appetite until after my workout, and they tasted awesome! I did pick a few chia seeds out of my teeth later that night, but it was worth it.

All three flavors of Power Snacks are high in vitamin C, dietary fiber, omega-3's, and antioxidants. Plus, they're non-GMO and a free of artificial colors and flavors. Total win-win!

5 comments:

Jennʻs Adventureʻs said...

these are my FAVE!!! I'm almost out, and must get more:)

Caitlin said...

wow- these look SO GOOD! larabars are my favorite energy snack, too, and these look like a fantastic alternative! i will definitely have to check them out the next time i'm at whole foods!

VeganLinda said...

How do they compare in price to Larabars?

xvavaveganx said...

These look like a perfect pre workout snack! The blueberry sounds great and I'm also curious about the citrus chia! I'll have to see if I can track them down :)

Bianca said...

VeganLinda, I'm not sure how much my local Whole Foods charges, but online, I found them for $8.99 a bag. There's about 30 pieces in a bag and four equal the size and calorie amount of a Larabar.