Sunday, November 20, 2011

Perfect Potato Wedges

I grew up on those battered, deep-fried jo-jo potatoes from gas stations. When I was just knee-high to a grasshopper, my Me-maw and I would walk down to the convenience store by her house, get a couple of "snack packs" (fried chicken, jo-jo taters, and a biscuit), and walk to a nearby park for a picnic. She watched me during the summer while my parents worked, and we did this little picnic ritual a few times a month.

I don't miss the fried chicken one bit, but I could still go for a jo-jo tater. I'm not too picky about the oil my food is cooked in, so I could still eat them if I wanted to. But I'm certain one tater is, like, five million calories. I even feel guilty when I fry potatoes at home, knowing that I have a perfectly good oven that makes taters way healthier. But oven-roasted potatoes never quite had the same crispy magic ... until now.

I've discovered the best recipe for roasted potatoes — the Smoky Potato Wedges from The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions:

Look at the crispiness on those taters! I won't give away all the secrets of the recipe because you need to buy Celine and Joni's awesome book for yourself, but I will tell you that coating the wedges in starch before baking is the key to a crispy crust. They call for potato starch in the book, but I've never seen that around here, so I substituted cornstarch with beautiful results. I'll never need another recipe for roasted potatoes.

9 comments:

Susan said...

Ooooohhhh... yummy. I love potatoes so much! I will have to make this soon!

BrooklynHeart said...

I think just about everything you've posted makes me want to buy another cookbook.

Not that there's anything *wrong* with that. Thank you for sharing!

(Also, to comment on a post from a few days ago, I'm also a counter, but WW pp... I may transition to or include calories at some point, but I'm just so used to it by now I think I'll be counting forever.)

Allysia said...

Oh, I totally have that book too. Awesome, I'll be doing these up soon! Every now and then I'll eat fried potatoes when I'm out...usually when my band goes places. So tasty, but so greasy.

Nicole Gamble said...

Great recipe ! I made it! It`s delicious!!! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

They look so yummy!! I was just looking at that cookbook the other day. I will have to get it now to try that recipie and others in that book. Thanks for sharing!

Babette said...

You pretty much convinced me to get that book. Your potatoes look so good!

Scissors and Spice said...

America's Test Kitchen suggests soaking potatoes in warm water and then drying them before baking. I forget the reason why, but it helps the inside of the potato cook better and the outside get crispier than not doing it.

Gem said...

Yum! I will say potato starch does make things heavenly crispy. I found some at Whole Foods for a crispy tofu recipe. Gahd, it was good.

Tender B. said...

Those do look crispy, just like the originals.