Sunday, July 10, 2011

Take Me Out to the Vegan Ballgame

I almost forgot to post this! But last week, our local ballpark hosted a vegetarian night for members of Food Awareness, our local vegetarian society. AutoZone Park, where our minor league team the Memphis Redbirds play, makes PETA's top ten list of veg-friendly ballparks every year. They were #6 in 2011.

They gave us a buffet of all-you-can-eat black bean burgers, veggie dogs, coleslaw, pasta salad, and watermelon. Here's my plate — a black bean burger, Brim's BBQ chips, and spicy slaw:

Food Awareness member Max checks out the watermelon:

After we stuffed our faces, we moved over to watch the game. Here's Shay, Amy, Kim, Nick, and John:

Overall, we had a fabulous night! And how cool that AutoZone Park offered us a veggie buffet! It was totally their idea, but we had about 20 members show up for the fun. And the black bean burgers were out of this world. They were homemade! They offer those all at every game at certain concession stands, as well as veggie dogs, a baked potato bar with veg options, veggie sausage, and fruit.

How are the veg options at your local ballpark?

12 comments:

T said...

Oh this all looks like a perfect summer day! I am so obsessed with veggie dogs at the mo, you really have an awesome ballpark!

gucci outlet online said...

what a delicious snacke, i cant wait to try them....- -

The Health Sensei said...

our local ballpark's veg options are french fries and soft pretzels...lol...but not really lol...weak :-/

foodfeud said...

Aw, this looks like so much fun! I love a good baseball game. I don't know about Yankee Stadium but Citifield (where the Mets play) and the Cyclones at MCU park, the Mets' minor league team, both offer veggie dogs all the time. I'm not positive about the pretzels but I do know they both serve Brooklyn beer, all of which are vegan!

dreaminitvegan said...

That's so cool! I think the ball park closest to us may have veggie dogs or something but I'm not much of a baseball fan. I used to go as a kid with my dad.

Erin said...

That's really cool that they offered a buffet! The A's stadium has exactly one stand which sells veggie dogs and it's across the stadium from where we usually sit.

Anonymous said...

How cool that they did you a buffet without you guys requesting it! I've never been to a ball park (living in the UK) but the football stadiums are rubbish for veg options, I have chips or crisps!!

Halfbloodpixie said...

I so want to try out vegan food for a week! But it'd be so hard, having to read the backs of everything. Maybe next week I'll have it as my challenge :)

Jess - The Domestic Vegan said...

Sadly, I have not yet been to a game at our new ballpark, but I have heard that it's pretty veg-friendly. I know they have veggie gyros & vegan brats and/or hot dogs. Then of course pretzels, fries, and beer. :) I love when ballparks have options for us!

Looks like a super fun time!

Unknown said...

Most ballparks I go to offer a veggie burger that isn't very good. It is usually a boca one. I've heard that some ballparks offer amazing fare. That was such a great idea by the ballpark.

Jesse @ Happy Go Lucky Vegan said...

This looks like fun! I haven't found a sports arena around me with vegan options quite yet... but I've heard the Yankees stadium is selling vegan cupcakes now. Wahoo!

Prada handbags sale said...

Thank you share with us your experience, I like the post, because it has taught me a lot. Thank you to let me continuous learning everyday.