Thursday, July 14, 2011

Crunk Teaser!

It's been awhile since I've made anything from my own cookbook. Any readers who were around last year might remember that nearly every post featured something from my cookbook. That's when I was busy testing recipes. Now that we're in the editing phase, I've been taking a break from my own stuff.

But green tomatoes are in season! And I have been craving a Fried Green Tomato & Tofu Sandwich! So I made one of the recipes in my upcoming Southern vegan cookbook (due in January ... yes, I know I've said it a million times ... but I'm slamelessly plugging wherever I can):

That's a big ole sandwich with two cornbread-coated fried green tomatoes, two slabs of marinated smoky tofu, and a yummy Dijon-mayo sauce. I used Miso Mayo this time because I LOVE that stuff!

On the side, I made a helpin' of my Southwestern Corn Salad:

This balsamic corn/pepper/olive salad is also in the book. I'm not sure how Southwestern it is, but sometimes, in the South, we like to give foods names from other places. My Granny invented this salad for a Thanksgiving a few years back.

Speaking of my cookbook, I was actually interviewed yesterday on "The Jazzy Vegetarian" radio! Host Laura Theodore talked to me about the book, my blog, my day job as a newspaper reporter, and eating out as a vegan. I even shared my recipe for Summer Tomato Salad, which you can also find here.

Laura also interviewed Rob Ventre on the show. He's the vegan men's crossfit champion and gold medalist in the IKFF/IKSFA New York Open Kettlebell Championship! My interview is about 10 minutes into the show. Listen here.

19 comments:

Happy Older Hippie Woman! said...

I can taste the sandwich - it looks so juicy & delicious, and what a great combination... tomatoes & tofu!

The Health Sensei said...

i want to pre-order the cookbook. i always support my bloggin' brothers and sisters :)

also, have most of the ideas ready for our vegan package swap. i will email you shortly, but FYI i may have the items a full month earlier than i thought :D

dreaminitvegan said...

Thanks for reminding me that I need to try fried green tomatoes. I want to take a bite out of that sandwich! My son and I LOVE miso-mayo!!!

That salad looks so good with the olives in it..oh my.

Sheridan said...

I so wish I could eat that sandwich for lunch right now!!! YUM!!!!

Katie said...

You had my money at 'fried green tomatoes'!

Leslie Richman said...

Can't wait for your cookbook!

Anonymous said...

That looks hella good. Great job on the radio show. Just listened.

vegan.in.brighton said...

Well now I need to go & make myself a sandwich!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to get my hands on the cookbook that provides the recipe for that sandwich...

Congratulations on the interview. Exciting stuff.

panda with cookie said...

January is so far away.

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

Jennifer said...
I have never had fried green tomatoes.. can you believe that? This looks very yummy!

Ricki said...

Hey Bianca! Thanks so much for your FB note--and thank you so much for going to all that trouble with the font and color! I was just speaking for myself--I have no idea if anyone else had the same trouble. But boy, is it ever easier to read (for me) now! Thanks so much! :D xo And I really need to try green tomatoes again. . . I think I must have made them wrong the first time!

foodfeud said...

That is one thick sandwich! Looks really great.

gucci outlet online said...

i cant wait to have try them....sounds very good

Nikki said...

That sandwich looks awesome. Looking forward to your book!!! Also, miso mayo = yum.

Alessandra said...

This looks good! Now that I think about it I never had fried green tomatoes in my life, I didn't even see the movie :-)

ciao
A.

Anonymous said...

What's miso mayo?? Sounds good, and those tomatoes look amazing! Can't wait to try the book.

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. said...

We Love Love Love Fried green tomatoes and were just talking about them the other day. Usually we wait until the end of the season though!