Monday, March 7, 2011

Happy Cereal Day!!

According my Ultimate Holiday app for the iPhone (yes, it's free ... I'm an app whore), today (March 7th) is National Cereal Day. I didn't realize that last night when I made homemade Peanut Butter & Jam Granola from 500 Vegan Recipes:

But how freakin' appropriate, right? The Kellogg brothers — John and Will — invented breakfast cereal in the late 19th century as a vegetarian alternative to traditional breakfast meats like bacon and sausage. You see, the Kelloggs were vegetarians because they were Seventh-Day Adventists. But their first attempts at cereal weren't all that well-received.

It wasn't until they developed granola that folks caught on. That's because granola is the bomb. Especially Celine and Joni's magical PB & Jam granola. It doesn't get much better than all-natural peanut butter, strawberry preserves, and whole gain oats. Plus, homemade granola is so much cheaper than shelling out $5 for a box of Kellogg's or some overpriced all-natural brand.

I served my granola over plain FarmSoy yogurt, which I purchased at the Farm in Summertown last weekend, along with fresh strawberries, walnuts, raisins, and a drizzle of agave nectar. Delish!

What's your favorite vegan cereal or granola?

14 comments:

Mihl said...

All the granolas from 500 vegan recipes are awesome. I love the one with cookie crumbles. Your bowl looks fantastic!

Lindsay said...

Your granola bowl looks sooo good!

Anonymous said...

I love granola, especially if it's homemade. Storebought granola is ridiculously expensive!!! (I wish I would have realized that back when I was in high school and ate it obsessively)

I had no idea that cereal was made as a breakfast alternative for veg-heads. You taught me something new today.

Dianne said...

Once you go homemade granola, it's hard to go back. I like to toss a handful of chocolate chips in mine sometimes ;-)

Anonymous said...

I love that PB&J granola...so yum.

Amanda @ Hungry Vegan Traveler said...

Ooh, fun little trivia fact there!

T said...

Ha, and today is international women's day! Nice week for holidays. I like chocolate in cereal, which is very common here in Germany for some reason.

Kari said...

Ultimate holiday app...with food holidays? *Downloading this very second*

I should make some granola...looks great.

Jackie Smith said...

I'm pretty much addicted to peanut butter Puffins right now.

Just Us said...

That is one good looking bowl of ceral! I love homemade granola.

Kristine said...

I gotta say...I can't eat a cold breakfast, my digestion is too finicky.

I love me some home made granola with warmed rice milk. Mmmm.

xo

MeloMeals said...

That looks so good. I have to get that book

Unknown said...

Wait, wait, wait. PB and J granola? Aw hell yes.

kel said...

Just made this - it smells great! Not sure how much of it will be left for breakfast...