Monday, March 28, 2011

Bluff City Vegan Eats: Jasmine Thai & Vegetarian Restaurant

Most Thai places in Memphis offer a few vegan options, but the curries typically contain nasty fish sauce. Eww! Thankfully, we have loads of very vegetarian-friendly Thai options at Jasmine Thai & Vegetarian Restaurant in the Cooper-Young neighborhood.

For years, I've ordered the same thing at Jasmine — Thai Chesnut Tofu:

Fried tofu cubes, baby corn, peppers, bamboo shoots, and cashews top a crispy potato basket. A potato basket, by the way, is a crispy bed of fried hash browns. Oh yes, this is amazing! You can see why I've ordered it over and over.

But on Sunday, my friend Rachel, her daughter Acadia, my boyfriend Paul, and I went to Jasmine and I was feeling all adventurous. So I ordered a dish I'd always wanted to try — Crispy Orange Bean Curd:

It may not look like much, but OMG, y'all. Giant deep-fried balls made with tofu and assorted veggies are coated in a sweet-n-savory citrus sauce flecked with jalepenos, carrots, and celery. I think I may have a new fave Thai dish.

I've yet to try any of Jasmine's curries, but there are plenty of vegan options. In fact, there are so many veg dishes offered at Jasmine, it's nearly impossible to choose one. That's why I've stuck with same Thai Chesnut Tofu for years. As a vegan, I'm easily overwhelmed by options. Now I think the Crispy Orange Bean Curd will be my new standard. BTW, even though "vegetarian" is part of Jasmine's title, they do also serve meat. But the veg menu is as large (maybe even larger) than the meat menu.

Jasmine Thai & Vegetarian Restaurant is located at 916 S. Cooper. Call 901-725-0223.

Do you have a regular dish at a restaurant that you order over and over again?

10 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

Both of those dishes look great but deep fried tofu balls? Wow!

Amy Mary said...

Can you get fresh tofu? Or does it have to be fried?

T said...

This makes me so hungry for thai food!

Bianca said...

Hi Amy. I think some of Jasmine's dishes are made with fresh tofu. But I feel cheated if I pay for Asian takeout without some kind of fried tofu. I don't deep fry tofu at home very often, so when I treat myself to meal at a restaurant, I want it to be as fattening and delicious as possible. :-)

foodfeud said...

I can see why that might become yr new usual - orange is a great flavoring with savory foods, especially when there's a spicy kick like from the jalapeno. Sounds great, though I do like the crunch of water chestnuts too.

Debra said...

Looks so good!
Blessings, Debra
Raw Vegan Diet

Unknown said...

Fried tofu balls and beds of hash browns? Doesn't sound like any thai I've ever heard of. I almost want to drive their just to try it out.

alldaynatural said...

I love Jasmine! They are so veg-friendly...and the owners are so welcoming. I always try the "General Tso's" tofu or the fried rice, but I'll have to order the Chestnut dish next time. Good looking out.

Blog-itarian said...

I can't get enough of the Massaman curry at the Thai place around the corner from me. I get it with tofu and brown rice..delish!

morganbb said...

I love this restaurant! You must get the mango sticky rice they make with coconut milk. They only have it when it's in season, which is coming up soon!!!