Sunday, October 24, 2010

My New Favorite Thing: Mung Bean Pasta

I did a vegan care package swap in September with Megan from Vegan Whore. She filled my package with all sorts of new items that I'd never noticed on the shelves of my Whole Foods, including this Explore Asian Mung Bean Fettucini:

I've got nothing against wheat, but I like it to mix it up sometimes with alternative gluten-free pastas. I was so excited to try these green-hued noodles, and lucky me, Sarah Kramer's October recipe in the 2010 Go Vegan wall calendar was the perfect opportunity — Roasted Cherry Tomato Pasta with Kalamata Olives and Capers:

The tomatoes are mixed with olive oil, garlic, balsamic vinegar, and red pepper flakes and roasted in the oven. Then the tomatoes are tossed with cooked pasta, kalamata olives, and capers. Simple and delicious. The recipe is also in La Dolce Vegan if you don't have the calendar. This recipe also gave me a chance to try my new fancy Vino Olives Fig Balsamic Vinegar from the Raimondo Family Winery in Arkansas — a birthday gift from my friend Misti.

As usual, Sarah Kramer's recipe of the month didn't disappoint, but it was doubly delicious with the addition of the mung bean fettucini. The flat noodles have a tender, yet chewy texture that's too magical for words. I like my pasta a little chewy, but also kind of melt-in-your-mouth tender. Does that even make sense? Anyway, I certainly hope I can procure some more mung bean pasta at my local Whole Foods because this stuff is about to become a household staple at the Haus of Crunk.

I also tried Steamed Okra as my side dish:

I used this recipe from the Food Network website. On my birthday celebration with my family, my Granny brought me a bag of fresh okra. I knew I had to use it right away, and I considered roasting some pods. But I'd always wondered if okra could be steamed, so I googled it resulting in the above recipe from from the Food Network — simply steam for about 10 minutes, toss with Earth Balance and salt, and voila. The texture is a little gooey-slimy, but that's what I love about okra. Definitely not one for the okra haters though.

Question: What's your favorite "alternative" pasta?

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bianca! Hey, I just came across your fabulous blog. I LOVE it! How cool is this? We are a vegan fam too and I love sharing recipes and lots of other ramblings. Come stop by If you would like! Those "devil food eggs" look amazing... Seriously! I am going to be making those for sure. Have a great week!

-Marci
http://marciandlevin.blogspot.com

T said...

Hmm looks interesting! And that simple pasta sauce looks great, I love cherry tomatoes. My favorite "alternative" pasta is spaghetti squash!

vegan.in.brighton said...

That pasta sounds awesome, I love trying new & interesting pastas!

Millie said...

wow that looks fabulous Bianca...I must pick these up next month when I go to whole foods...thanks.

The Health Sensei said...

same brand - but their black bean pasta - it's fantabulous as well

Dianne said...

Mmmm, pasta puttanesca. That would be excellent with some pine nuts thrown in, I bet! I haven't tried any of these crazy bean or seaweed pastas yet; I'll just stick with whole wheat or brown rice, thanks!

Unknown said...

Yum! Those noodles look delicious. I love spelt noodles, because they have that great pasta texture, but a really toasty flavour. Buckwheat (soba) noodles are great, too.
And, of course, spaghetti squash... but life without carbs is no life at all, so I don't eat that one quite so often. :)

Babette said...

I made Sarah's recipe at the beginning of the month, but yours looks so much better than mine. It's true I used yellow cherry tomatoes, and that didn't help.

I love all pasta, I'd eat them everyday if I could, but I particularly like rice and soba noodles, because they are so quick to prepare.

JohnP said...

I have to try those noodles! Right away!

My mother steams okra frequently. She puts green beans in a sauce pan with a layer of chopped potatoes over them and okra on top of it all. Salt, pepper, and just enough water (mostly covering the beans, but not the potatoes and okra). Cover, cook until the beans are done and the potatoes and okra are fully cooked.

miss v said...

when i first read your post title, i thought it was something totally different. i actually use mung bean sprouts *as* my pasta! :) this looks so good!

aimee said...

Thanks for sharing the mung bean pasta! I will have to look for it in the future.

Tea and Sympatico said...

Can you get King Soba noodles in the US? The Sweet Potato and Buckwheat and the Pumpkin, Ginger and Brown Rice noodles are both excellent.

jessy said...

i absolutely love the different textures the mung bean fettucini has go'n on as well. my brother sent me some a while ago and i've been lucky enough to find them locally 'cause we're hooked. so yummy! sara's pasta looks awesome with the mung bean noodles, and i'm gonna have to try steamed okra sometime as well. i too love that it's slimy - makes for another food that's fun to eat!

Amanda said...

I love Quinoa pasta. I admit, I was skeptical at first, although, I'm not sure why. So tasty! I'll have to look for the mung bean pasta at my local Whole Foods.

Neven said...

Hi,I just found your blog. I never heard of mung bean pasta. You recipe looks really delicious.

HelloVeggie said...

I don't know what my husbands problem is, but he doesn't like okra. He is a freak! Your pic looks awesome. Mung bean pasta- sounds awesome too!

Jenn-HeVe

Anonymous said...

Spaghetti squash is fascinating as an alternative to spaghetti, but I don't find it nearly as satisfying. I've tried brown rice and corn pasta and am not a fan. I've not seen mung bean pasta, but I'm intrigued! Everything's worth a try!

Anonymous said...

I'm SOOOO glad you loved them! To be honest, I just had them for the first time the other day. I mostly picked things out for you that were things I had be wishing to try but never had a reason. And um, the texture was dead on as you described! Seriously, best pasta ever.

PS : If you can't manage to find any near you, I'm always willing to do ANOTHER swap. This time, ALL PASTA!!!! :)

*Mom's Best Bets said...

Yum! I just used Eden's mung bean pasta. I haven't seen this in Hawaii stores but will look for it

Unknown said...

I grill okra all the time. Just toss it with some toasted Sesame Oil and put on some "Fox Point" - a spice I get from Penzy's or just some Goya salt/lemon pepper. It's delicious and rarely slimey. One of the best nutritional vegetables to be had!