Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Return of the Wafflewich

Move over, KFC ... with your nasty, cruelty-infested Double Down. There's a new sammich in town, and it's tasty and vegan. Meet (or if you've been a long-time Crunk follower, re-introduce yourself to) the Fried Tofu "Chicken" Wafflewich:

Yep, it's another cookbook tester, but I promise its worth waiting for. I developed this ode to Southern-style chicken and waffles back in 2008. But I'm testing and testing and testing again. This filling all-in-one meal combines my Southern Fried Tofu "Chicken" (which is also delicious on its own) with my Savory Sandwich Waffle and a special maple-dijon sauce. It's hefty and satisfying and somewhat sinful thanks to the beer-battered fried 'fu.

On an unrelated note, I wanted to show y'all my poor puppy's injured paw:

Poor Datsun! He was staying with a friend while I was at Bonnaroo last weekend, and the friend took him to the White River in Arkansas. Little did she know, Datsun is actually part fish. He loves to swim more than anything in the world ... more than his favorite ball ... more than belly rubs ... probably even more than he loves me!

While my fish-dog was swimming, he managed to cut his paw on a sharp rock in the water. He bled so much that my friend had to take him to the animal ER. He had emergency paw surgery and got quite a few stitches. Of course, Datsun acts like the paw doesn't phase him. No limping and lots of playing.

18 comments:

Cara Sheppard said...

That wafflewich looks fabulous! I'm drooling onto my keyboard a little :)

Keri - I Eat Trees said...

Yes!! The Wafflewich is epic!

Aww, glad Datsun isn't in pain, but hope his paw heals quickly!!

Sarah (GF vegan) said...

Poor little Datsun! He's looking so sorry for himself. Hope it heals quickly x

Belle said...

That wafflewich looks delicious and I hope Datsun heals quickly!

Jacklyn said...

love the chicken wafflewich! looks great!

Datsun looks super cute..I hope he heals back to normal soon : ]

The Health Sensei said...

Poor Datsun...but i love the name and love how cute and healthy he looks :)

oh yeah, that sammich ain't too shabby either ;)

great post, can't wait to get your cookbook.

The Voracious Vegan said...

Poor Datsun! I'm glad he's going to be okay. I want to cuddle him SO much, he has got to be one of the cutest pups ever. I bet him and my Jack would get along splendidly!

Your wafflewich looks FANTASTIC! And seriously, I can't wait for your cookbook. It is going to be the best.

Lauren said...

Get better Datsun!

Vegan In The VI said...

Love Datsun! Hope he gets back in the water again soon.

jess_fildespages said...

My first question looking at that sandwich was: Now how would I eat that?? Then I thought: Oh, It doesnt matter I just would! Looks amazing!

And your puppys so cute!

Eric said...

Poor Datsun@!

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat said...

Poor puppy! I'm glad he's okay. Dogs are funny like that. Paw surgery? No big deal ;-)

That wafflewich made me drool a bit. I can't wait for your cookbook to come out!

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

Can't wait to test that wafflewich! gotta go get a waffle iron.

Devan said...

bah hoses moses that looks delish!

T said...

Yum looks amazing! Love the cheeky maple sauce too- sounds like its going to be a favorite!

urban vegan said...

Poor Datsun....maybe if you feed him a waffle-wich, he will feel better. Sooooo Southern and so delish. Can't wait for the recipe.

Happy Older Hippie Woman! said...

It's Sunday morning, 2am, & I just realized I haven't been here for a while, and then I see the Wafflewich and am stunned - it looks so delicious, I wish I had everything to make it right now!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Poor Datsun! Get better soon.. and hand me that Wafflewich!