Sunday, June 27, 2010

Mega-Veggie Meal

I'm not sure which question I get asked more often: "Where do you get your protein?" or "Did that hurt?" (in reference to my lip piercing ... people always ask without mentioning the piercing, as if I'm always thinking about the fact that I have jewelry on my face). Both questions are equally annoying, but I can understand people's curiosity so I'm always polite when I answer.

Answers: I eat plenty of protein in the form of tofu, tempeh, seitan, and beans. And no, it didn't hurt very much, but it was sore for weeks when it was healing.

But back to the protein question — I've actually counted my daily protein intake for several days, and I eat way more than the recommended amount for a female. I generally have some sort of protein-based entree at every meal. Except for tonight. Veggies played the star and supporting roles in my Sunday night dinner with this Roasted Veggie Po' Boy with Curried Sweet Potato Fries:

And you know, I didn't even miss the protein. Of course, I had lentils for lunch, so it wasn't like I'd been without protein all day. Sometimes veggies demand to take the lead.

The sandwich is another cookbook tester (have you noticed that I'm really stepping up to finish soon?), but I'll tell ya that it's piled high with local zucchini and squash from the Memphis Farmers Market, portabello mushrooms, onions, and red bell pepper. That cheese peeking out is Follow Your Heart vegan mozzarella. Daiya is delicious, but I still use FYH when I needing a slicing cheese.

On the side are my Curried Sweet Potato Fries, which I dipped in a liberal amount of Chef Allen's Mango Ketchup.

By the way, I'm so honored to have been bestowed the Sunshine Award by two of my favorite bloggers — Nora of Pride and Vegudice and Kiersten of Vegan Awakening (formerly Full of Beans). Thanks so much guys! I'm supposed to pass this award on to 12 other bloggers, but I'm sleepy and I know all that linking would take longer than I have before bedtime (I know, that's a lame excuse). Not to get all cheesy on you guys, but there are loads of awesome vegan food bloggers out there that serve as a daily inspiration to me. We all make such a great support group, and after a few years of following other people's blogs, I feel like I have a little bloggy family. Thanks guys!!

24 comments:

Cara Sheppard said...

I cannot wait until your cookbook comes out! Seriously. As a Canadian vegan girl, I was a little terrified of the food situation on my first trip to the South (New Orleans and vicinity last February). Little did I know that I would have amazing food!! Check out my blog post about NOLA food: http://kidsplayingwithskulls.blogspot.com/2010/03/new-orleans-pt-3-food-drink.html

T said...

Curry fries and mango ketchup- that definitely sounds like something I could get into. Po boys are a delight i have always wanted to try- can't wait to check out your version!

The Health Sensei said...

my reply to that question has become
"How do i get my protein? How do you AVOID your protein?!?!"

protein requirements are a myth perpetrated by the meat and milk industries. they got the average american to buy it hook, line and sinker.

Anonymous said...

That looks so good! I love a good veggie sandwich. I totally agree- sometimes the veggies just take the lead.

You know, we really need to come up with some crazy answer to the "Where do you get your protein?" question. The question might get old, but the look on people's faces would be amusing.

Adventures in Veg said...

Oh YUM! I seriously can't wait for your cookbook! I don't know a lot about food from the South as I'm from Ireland, so it'll really be an education for me!

Sunni said...

Veggies have protein too! Lots more than people realize. I'm reading Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live book and he points out that cows get all their protein from grass. :)

Eric said...

I agree, its always interesting and motivational to see what other like minded people are doing/cooking/how their living through their blogs. Oh and those Curried Sweet Potato Fries... goodlord :D

Carrie said...

That sandwich looks amazing! I agree, sometimes veggies need to be the star of the show. :)

Jessica said...

You're vegetarian? So do you eat chicken?

Yum for sweet potato fries. Those look super seasoned and delicious.

Sarah S. said...

Haha, I had a labret piercing for several years and I got the same question constantly, and I gave THE SAME answer.

I recently got asked the question about where I get my calcium from. I know that 100 calories worth of tofu or 100 calories worth of any dark leafy vegetable have more calcium than milk, but I don't necessarily have tofu and dark leafy vegetables every day. I was thinking about doing some tracking of my daily calcium intake much like you are did with the protein and see how it all shakes down.

Leah said...

Hilarious--those are also the two questions I'm asked the most, with regards to my veganism and tongue ring. My answers are similar to yours.

I also like to bring up my ginormous iron count, the thing I like most about myself. Who needs red meat, honestly...

I've been reading your blog lately and I LOVE it. Just about every recipe you post is completely on-par with my southern & southwestern tastes, and I love ways to innovate with meat and cheese substitutes.

Good luck with the cookbook! My girlfriend lives in Nashville, so some of the Tennessee-based products and books you mention sometimes are easily available to her--now I'm even more excited to visit TN again.

Leah

Carissa said...

Looks good! Is the mango ketchup similar to banana ketchup? We use that often over here.

Amanda said...

That looks straight out of my local italian restaurant - press it a small grill and you could call it a panini! Looks delicious!

jessy said...

ah yes, the 'ol protein question. it always makes me giggle. i log my daily eatz into sparkpeeps and every day i get in around 70+ grams - i don't know why people think us vegans don't get enough protein. **sigh** your roasted veggie po' boy has got to be the best look'n sammich i've seen these days, Bianca - piled high with awesomenesses. hell yeah! curried sweet potato fries sound like the perfect side, too! deliciousness all around!

jess_fildespages said...

oh many...those questions are the worst! i used to have the same piercing as you along with others and along with my tattoos people get awkwardly curious! they used to bother me but now i just kinda shrug and laugh-but i feel your pain!

Janet said...

Seems like every omnivore makes it their business to ask where we get our protein...sometimes they're genuinely curious and sometimes they're deliberately being ignorant. I make a habit of asking why they want to know before I answer.

That sandwich looks amazing, and curried sweet potato fries with mango ketchup sounds super delish.

Dianne said...

I stopped worrying about protein when I realized I was making 1.5 times my daily recommended amount...it's almost impossible not to! Congrats on your sunshine award!

Vegan In The VI said...

Ugh! That f*ckin' protein question. I've gotten to the point where I just say stuff like "You really don't care about my protein intake, right????" And then the other person usually conceeds that, no, they don't really care.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your award! You have one darn yummy blog!

Was wondering how you make those scrumptious sweet pot. fries?...thank you!

Enjoy!

Chocolate-Covered Katie said...

Bianca, you're definitely one of my favorite bloggers, so I think they chose correctly :).
P.S. Go veggies! Protein's so last season!

Jess of Midwest Vegan said...

Offering myself as a cookbook tester... since you're getting so close to finishing it and all. Lol. Just sayin'.

Anyways... it always gets me when I make cupcakes or something and when I tell people they're vegan they get all grossed out. HELLO. I'm taking only taking ingredients out! Filling them full of dairy and eggs is what's really gross.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Ooh, I want to get my protein from that meal!

Babette said...

This sandwich look fabulous!

Anonymous said...

You're welcome! You deserve it!
And this was your best opening to a post ever:
I'm not sure which question I get asked more often: "Where do you get your protein?" or "Did that hurt?" I laughed out loud!