Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Vegan Diners and Dives

As soon as Tamasin Noyes' cookbook American Vegan Kitchen hit stands last month, I headed to Amazon to purchase a copy. Fortunately for Tami, everyone else had the same idea — the book was sold out! Every vegan and their mother had to have a copy of Tami's awesome cookbook of diner-style comfort recipes. The book is available on Amazon here now, but I lucked out because Tami (you might know her from the Vegan Appetite blog) wound up sending me a copy for review.

Y'all know I love me some comfort food. I'll take a bowl of vegan mac & cheese over a fancy four-course dinner any old day. Tami's recipes are reminiscent of eats you might find at a very vegan-friendly roadside diner (unfortunately, most roadside diners aren't very vegan-friendly), so of course this book is right up my alley.

Chapters are divided into cute little catergories like "Rise and Shine" (breakfast, of course), "Sandwich Board," "Salad Bar," "Choice of Sides," and "Dessert Case." Doesn't that just make you wanna pull the car over, load the fam into the dive-y diner, and order a glass of iced tea from a nice lady named Flo?

My friend Stephanie tested for Tami's book, so I asked her what I should try first. Honestly, everything sounded so good (seitan po'boys, beer-simmered seitan stroganoff, sweet garlicky ribs) that I couldn't decide on my own. Steph suggested the Savory Stuffed French Toast with Mustard-Shallot Sauce:

Oh. My. God. Y'all. Day-old French bread is stuffed with vegan ham (I used Yves brand) and Bosc pear slices. It's battered and lightly pan-fried and then topped with a tangy mustard-shallot sauce. I wouldn't have thought to combine ham and pears, but it's such a magical combination. I had a couple slices for dinner alongside some caramelized cabbage 'n' onions (a recipe from my cookbook). This French toast is certainly a keeper.

I've only made a couple of recipes from American Vegan Kitchen so far (I'll share pics of the other one with y'all tomorrow night), but I've stayed busy wiping my drool of the book's pages. Everything sounds amazing. Expect to see plenty more posts from this book. And go buy it. You know you want it.

20 comments:

Woobie is Vegan said...

sometimes I have beautiful dreams about all vegan cities/world/universe...where roadside vegan diners actually exist! It makes me giddy just thinking about it.

Shannon-Rabbit Food said...

I want it! I want it! (The cookbook and vegan diners, that is.)

Yes, vegan diners shall start sprouting up all across the U.S. of A. and truck drivers' bellies will mysteriously start growing smaller and smaller as their cholesterol will grow lower and lower. One day?

The Voracious Vegan said...

SHUT UP! That is the best looking dish I have seen in a looong time. I love diner food, quick and easy and REALLY tasty, it is always the best. But vegan diner food? I think I've died and gone to heaven. I've got to order this book...

Lauren said...

Awesome! I hadn't heard of this book and now I am drooling over it.

Vegan In The VI said...

Absolutely incredible dish!

Anonymous said...

Great review, I think I need to add this to my overflowing bookshelf! The breakfast looks soo savory and mouthwatering.

Heather (Where's the Beach) said...

So cool. Thanks for the review!

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

Oh my gosh, that french toast looks amazing. All the recipes you mentioned sound drool-worthy. must... get... cookbook.

jessy said...

that combination really does sound magical, Bianca! mmmmmmmmm! i fo 'sho need to get Tami's cookbook, i think i'll ask for it as a present for my birthday (now if only it were may already! ah ha ha!). i am sooo looking forward to more reviews of Tami's glorious recipes. yay!

JohnP said...

Goodness, yes. I haven't made that recipe, yet, but now I need to. Everything we have tried from Tami's book has been great!

two vegan boys said...

This book looks great. I will have to order it.

Rick @ BookPubCo said...

My girlfriend and I wanted to try something easy from Tami's new book. We made the smoky cauliflower and bean soup. It was delicious!

Millie said...

I must order this book...so I am now off to Amazon's website or to Border's...thanks Bianca!

http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

Mary said...

Vegan ham and pears? Who would'a thunk it??

Keri - I Eat Trees said...

Oh my gosh- that looks so freakin' good!! May vegan diners pop up in every town!

T said...

Woah, its like a vegan monte cristo! That alone might be worth the book. YUM!

Veg-In-Training said...

Hi Bianca,

I was also lucky enough to test for this book. Everything I tested was so good. I have to recommend you try the San Fran Seitan wraps. They are off the hook. There are so many other noteworthy ones. I have served the Seitan and Dumplings to many different omni friends with great reviews. Oh and the slow roasted tomatoes with or without the lasagna...magnifico! I can't say enough good things about this book. If you are going to add just one to your repertoire, make sure this is it. Seriously.

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat said...

Oh man, I just need to come live with you, haha. I bet if I could cook some stuff like that, my husband might actually eat vegan food!

Erin said...

WOAH, does that ever look amazing!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I can't wait to get this book!