Monday, March 8, 2010

Lunch Bowl Leftover Love

Some days nothing is more satisfying that a bean-grain-veggie combo served in a cute little bowl. Today, my friends, was one of those days. I had some leftover kidney beans after making my dog's favorite Snoopy's Great Pumpkin, Rice, & Beans dinner (from The Vegan Dog Book).

And I had a leftover avocado half from the last of my Veggie Ceviche (from Vegan in 30 Days). I don't know what inspired me to top my red beans with avocado, but it sounded really, really good! So I cooked up a half-cup of brown rice, topped that with beans, and then a layer of fresh avocado:

I seasoned the whole thing with Bragg's, chipotle hot sauce, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, ground dried garlic chips, and Cajun seasoning. And I actually topped my bowl with way more avocado than what's pictured. I used all of the half avocado, but I didn't want to cover up the beans in this shot.

I know it sounds like the simplest dish ever, but this has got to be my favorite bowl combo of all time. I'll never eat kidney beans without avocado again.

What are your favorite lunch (or dinner or breakfast) bowl combinations?

18 comments:

Vegan Tv Presenter said...

Ooh I love avocado on top of rice dishes-chili has to be my favourite-makes it taste so creamy mmm :) I think I'm going to have to give your bowl a whirl tonight!x

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

I love rice and bean bowls like that, sometimes they are just the ticket!

About your question about the white chocolate I used in the cookies - they are a brand they've just started selling here in the UK. the brand is Sweet William but they just say dairy free on the front. They only seem to come in little 25g snack packs at the moment.

miss v said...

kidney beans and cados? sounds like a really awesome combination. i'm going to be all over this once i try it.
my lunch bowls almost always consist of cabbage or bean sprouts. i love to lightly heat some mung bean spouts, frank's hot sauce and some nutri yeast on top. it's weird, but i eat it at least once a week!

The Voracious Vegan said...

Topping anything with avocado sounds really good, but topping beans with an avo is positively genius! This looks like the perfect lunch to me. Mmmm!

Anonymous said...

I love the Hoppin' John Salad recipe from pcrm.org, but I eat it with the rice & blackeyed peas warm, with cold tomato and green onion on top. Everything is then covered with a garlicky lemon juice. Totally delicious but also totally guilt free. It was the first day dinner from the 21 Day Vegan Kickstart meal plan.

Nicci said...

I;m getting down with some Blck beans and Rice tonight! I'll have to try some seasoning on it.

Unknown said...

I actually love love love that exact lunch combo, using black beans or adzuki :) Great picture btw!

Oh, another awesome lunch combo (and what I am having today) it roasted sweet potatoes and onions with a side of black beans :)

Erin said...

Avocado is the perfect topper for a bowl meal. Throw some greens in there too, and it would be darn close to my favorite!

jessy said...

i looove the red bean 'n avocado combination - it's the yummiest! usually i'll toss in some chopped scallions, too. mmmmm! your leftover lunch bowl looks rock'n, Bianca! i love when it all comes together to make such deliciousness. one of my favorite bowl combinations is sweet potatoes, kale, mushrooms, and black beans. i use a little braggs, some chili powder, and a smidge of garlic salt to season it up. i'm gonna have to try your bowl, too!

Anonymous said...

mmmm i agree. grain bean veggie bowls are heaven on earth. mine is quinoa, kale, chickpeas or black beans, marinated grilled tempeh, and peanut sauce! maybe some sesame seeds too!

Shannon-Rabbit Food said...

What a great big bowl of yum!

jess sconed said...

I totally agree.

vko said...

oh, now I too will never eat beans without avocado either- yum!!

urban vegan said...

That looks great. Beans and avos...you can't go wrong!

Mary said...

Red beans and avocado are wonderful together! Today for lunch I had quinoa topped with chickpeas/walnuts/sliced almonds/fresh-squeezed orange juice/olive oil/coriander. Not bad! I love lunch bowls.

ps: I can totally see you rocking a cowl. I think you need to own one.

Pure2Raw Twins said...

Anything with avocado's is yummy in my book :)

Unknown said...

I like beans and rice as a base (pinto, adzuki, mung, black...) and then add in a pesto of cilantro, garlic, jalapeno and lime with a touch of olive oil.

Gena said...

I love simple bowls like this. Beautiful, nourishing, healthy