Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Spicy for Breakfast

Y'all know I'm a big fan of the savory breakfast. That's why I had to try this Peppered Tofu from Good Time Eatin' In Cajun Country by Donna Simon:

Had this been listed in the Main Dishes section, I probably would have just passed the recipe right over. But hot and spicy tofu for breakfast sounded delicious! Though I occasionally enjoy a creamy bowl of peanut butter oats or Barbara's Bakery cereal in the morning, I typically prefer saltier, heartier foods in the a.m. As a kid, I actually ate Ramen noodles for breakfast almost every day before school.

This Peppered Tofu — spiced with smoked paprika, cayenne, and thyme — was the first recipe I've made from Simon's vegan Cajun cookbook. I purchased it in New Orleans back in October, but I had such a backlog of cookbooks at the time that it got pushed aside. The book, published by the Book Publishing Company at the Farm in Summertown, is packed with N'awlins-style deliciousness, like gumbos and po' boys.

I served the Peppered Tofu on a Food for Life Genesis 1:29 Sprouted Grain English Muffin with a melted slice of Tofutti American cheese (which for some reason is not visible in this picture):

Speaking of breakfast foods, Kenny from Raiders Against Cruelty (Middle Tennessee State University's animal protection group) asked me to put in a plug for a bakery in Murfreesboro, Tennessee that's begun serving vegan donuts, brownies, and sandwiches. We're talking chocolate-glazed, jelly-filled, apple fritters, the works.

Get Sconed Bakery (no relation to Jess's awesome vegan blog of the same name, as far as I know) is located at 1875 Memorial Blvd. in Murfreesboro. That's about a four-hour drive from Memphis, but I think it may be worth a road trip very soon! If any of you guys live in the Middle Tennessee area, please check them out and buy their vegan donuts so they'll continue to put them out there. What the world needs are MORE VEGAN DONUTS! Get Sconed can be reached at 615-410-3528. Click here for more donut pictures. This photo is by Casey Smith.

13 comments:

T said...

That looks awesome. Spicy breakfasts are the all-time greatest.

Heather said...

I'm the same way! I'll take a savory breakfast any day over a sweet one. I'll even put soy sauce in my oatmeal if I have to!

JohnP said...

I have to get to the 'boro soon!!

And I'm with you on savory breakfasts. The tofu sounds great.

jessy said...

the world does need more vegan donuts. i think i'd be so happy i'd cry if i could find a vegan & gluten-free donut. i dream about them every night! mmmmmmm! i hear babycakes in NYC has them, and i've considered driving 7 hours for a dozen of them. zomg! mmmmmmm! that's so crazy that you enjoyed your spicy peppered tofu on bread with some cheeze, Bianca - that's one of my favorite breakfasts of all time. i take a slab of organic local 'fu and cook it with just sea salt 'n pepper - then i toss it on some gluten-free bread, add on a slice of vegan rice cheeze, slather on the earth balance and toss it back in the pan for maxium toasty awesomeness. so yum!

Anonymous said...

Wow that's so rad! I went to MTSU five years ago and there wasn't much for veg-friendly restaurants. So glad to hear they have a new vegan bakery!!

BTW: you're tofu looks amazing compared to this soppy oatmeal & raisin bowl in front of me. *sob*

Vegan In The VI said...

I'm not a savory breakfast person, but the sandwich could definitely work for lunch or dinner.

Leslie Richman said...

Yum- I love a savory breakfast! I used to English peas in the morning in high school, and my mom is famous for her favorite brekkie of a Dr. Pepper and a ham sandwich :P

thedalyn said...

While I'm completely obsessed with the crispy, gooey apple fritters from Ronald's Donuts in Vegas, I, too, prefer savory breakfasts. And breakfast for dinner? Don't even get me started...Delicious.

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat said...

I have honestly never had tofu for breakfast! I may have to remedy that soon ;-)

dreaminitvegan said...

Wow! That spicy tofu looks awesome, I love spicy food!

Mike K said...

Spicy food for breakfast is always fun, and this tofu looks great. That cookbook sounds good too.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

OMG, fritters & donuts! I may have to head to the 'boro!

shannon from RAAC said...

get sconed has apple fritters now too. AND VEGAN BOSTON CREME DONUTS.

they also are working on soups and sandwiches, that i think are pretty swell!