Monday, February 1, 2010

San Francisco Eats (Continued)

So last night I posted each course of my delicious meal at Millennium Restaurant in San Francisco. Tonight, I bring you the rest of my SF eats, which were damn tasty ... but no match for Millennium's gourmet grub.

I was in town for an Association of Alternative Newsweeklies conference, representing the alt-weekly newspaper I write for — the Memphis Flyer. We stayed at the gorgeous Argonaut Hotel in Fisherman's Wharf. Check out the star pillows!

While the view of the ocean and the Golden Gate Bridge is absolutely lovely in the wharf, the vegan options are pretty much on par with what's offered in Memphis — a few options here and there. I didn't have much time to wander out of the neighborhood for quick lunches and such, but I was pleased with the food I found.

When we arrived in San Francisco — after a 1 1/2-hour flight to Minnesota and a 4-hour flight to SF, we were all starving! So we stumbled into the first Mexican joint we found — Las Margaritas in Jack's Cannery. I had the Vegetarian Fajitas:

After lunch, we had a few hours to kill before our welcome reception in the hotel lobby. I wandered down to the Ferry Building on the advice of Melisser the Urban Housewife. She told me there was a Ciao Bella in there! So I had to get two scoops of Chocolate and Coconut Sorbet:

Lunch on Thursday was this surprisingly delicious California Veggie Sandwich with Luau BBQ Chips and an Anchor Steam Porter at Boudin Cafe:

I'm usually un-impressed by veggie sandwiches, but this one was served on fresh-baked multi-grain bread. And it was piled high with avocado, roasted red peppers, red onion, tomato, lettuce, and a balsamic dressing. Plus, Boudin had these cute little bread animals in their window:

I had dinner at Millennium on Thursday night, and Friday morning was mostly spent in workshops. But I had a few minutes for lunch after my last workshop and before my flight was scheduled to leave. I stumbled on a Johnny Rockets in the wharf, and since we don't have one in Memphis, I got pretty excited. I sat in a retro diner-style booth and dined on this Streamliner Boca Burger:

And these cute french fries:

After I flew out of SF, my connector flight was supposed to take off from Salt Lake City. But it was delayed for 9 hours due to snow in Memphis. Lucky for me, there was a mini-Squatters Pub in the SLC airport. And they had this delicious Tofu Scramble Wrap:

It was really more like tofu egg salad with tomato, onion, cucumber, and cilantro-lime dressing. And it was served on a whole wheat tortilla with chips and salsa. Considering my poor luck finding vegan food in airports earlier in the trip, this was a major score. It almost made my 9-hour wait in SLC worth it. Almost.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

i live just 15 mins from sf, so this post was really fun to read! glad you got to eat at millennium, so good!!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Oooh yum, that all looks delicious especially the tofu scramble wrap...I don't know why i've never put tofu scramble in a wrap but I want to now!

serena said...

all those eats look good :) i love mexican food!

Gina said...

Those bread animals are awesome, I love it!!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

A tofu scramble wrap is an awesome idea! All the food looks great, it's good you could find something at the airport - I usually struggle too.

crunchyveganwifelife said...

You are so lucky to have found such yummy vegan food, my travels have been less than grand. Usually grits and fruit salad....I love the idea of bread animals and the smiley face ketchup!!! So cute!!

Phoenix personal injury attorney said...

I absolutely love SF. Great place for veggie food. And so much culture and liveliness!

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

jessy said...

that stinks that you had to stay in the airport for 9 freak'n hours, but that's good news that the 'fu wrap was pretty darn delicious. those are some cute french fries, and i'm digging the veggie sammie, too! i'm glad it was yum - and i'm happyfaced that you were able to find some vegan eatz! ciao bella = my favorite. i love their mango sorbet! mmmmmm!

Margie said...

That tofu "egg salad" wrap looks great! I'm going to look up some recipes for it.

Vegan Valerie said...

Thanks for the heads up about SLC airport's mini Squatter's Pub and that yummy looking wrap! Salt Lake City's my home and occasionally I utilize the airport, so your information is very useful and timely to me! Thank you, Bianca!

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

Wow, that tofu scramble wrap does look really good- and in SLC- amazing!

Love the hotel pillows. Ultra cute. I want to go to Millennium!

Michal said...

I cannot stop looking at those bread animals, I wonder how they made those. You are lucky that you were able to eat all of that delicious food, im drooling right now :)

Sheridan said...

I SO wish I could have gone with you! I still haven't made it out to Cali. Vegas is as far west as I've been! Argh! Your hotel and eats look awesome. I'm so glad you had a great time! I need to see you sooooon!

Maida said...

You'll have to add Greens and Cafe Gratitude to your list of restaurants to visit the next time you're in SF. Although I live very close, I don't get there often at all to enjoy all the wonderful places to eat. Glad you had a fun trip!

Godlesscupcake said...

As I live just a BART ride away from SF, I thank you for the suggestions and food pr0n. Also, your jacket made super envious. <3

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I wish I could have hung out with you!

Erin said...

Hey, you actually did really well food-wise for being stuck near the Wharf. Cute bread animals!