Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Treat Time!

When I say "Datsun, want a treat-treat?," my big ole' puppy always comes running. Even if he's been a in a dead sleep. So I knew when I got a copy of The Simple Little Vegan Dog Book by Michelle Rivera that I'd absolutely have to try my hand at making homemade dog biscuits.

These Yeasted Gourmet Dog Treats were a huge hit with Datsun. See ...

He really wants me to stop taking pictures and give him the damn treat. I took at least ten of these photos, and his patience was wearing thin. When he finally got a chance to gobble down the biscuit, he looked up at me as if to say, "Can I have seconds?" I made him bones, flowers, and cute little pumpkins using cookie cutters:

The recipe is really basic — flour, yeast, veggie broth (I used water because I couldn't find unsalted broth), and soymilk. The yeast gives them a bit of rise, but the treats sit in the oven overnight (with the heat turned off, of course) to get crunchy.

In fact, they were still waiting in the oven when I arrived home from work tonight. I'd forgotten all about them and set the oven to pre-heat for 30 minutes or so to bake some tofu. Then I noticed the aroma of something baking even though I'd thought the oven was empty. Oops! Luckily, the extra cooking time just made the biscuits crunchier ... and Datsun seemed to like that even more.

By the way, the Vegan Dog Book is published through the Book Publishing Company out of Summertown, Tennessee.

13 comments:

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I wish Strummer had a pup to share treats with, she'd never go through a batch!

T said...

Aww cute! And you know those homemade treats are a hell of a lot healthier than what you get at the store.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I'll have to make those for Chooey :)

Mihl said...

How cool, I should make those for my parent's dog.

Leslie Richman said...

I am excited about this book.

Tara said...

This sounds like a great book! Every Christmas I make dog biscuits for all of my canine family members, and I could use some new recipes!
Datsun is adorable!

chrystad72 said...

thats tooo cute! You have one spoiled pup there ;) Sounds like an awesome book! I have cats though...I wonder if they would try it..=)

Jen said...

i had some catching up to do as always. i'm pretty impressed with the vegan doggie finds. i'll try some of those on ladymutt the hoople.

Mary said...

Delightful! Ellie comes running when she hears me peeling carrots--she knows I'll give her the ends.

jessy said...

that is too funny, Bianca - our pooch (julie) does the same thing when you ask her if she’d like a treat! ah ha ha! the treats sound awesome & it looks like Datsun is all about ‘em, too! i left roasted pumpkin seeds in the oven once & had the same thing happen when i preheated the oven. i also realized this morning i left banana chips in the food dehydrator – from like, 2 weeks ago. jeez! i need to see if i can get my hands on the vegan dog book!

KitteeBee said...

oh neat! what other kinds of recipes are in the book? i checked on amazon, but no previews are available.

xo
kitteeeeeeeeeeee

Vegan In The VI said...

Datsun looks ready to eat your hand as well as the treat.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Ooh! I will have to check out that book!!!