Sunday, August 24, 2008

Cornbread Pizza

I've been wanting to create a Southern-style veggie pizza for my cookbook, loaded high with greens, summer squash, peppers, and Vidalia onions. And I'd planned on using a traditional pizza crust, but one night last week, inspiration struck. Why not create a cornbread crust? What's more Southern than cornbread? So ladies and gentlemen, I give you Southern Veggie Cornbread Pizza:

For the crust, I halved my recipe for cast-iron cornbread (also in the cookbook). I didn't want to use the whole amount because it would be way too thick. I topped the uncooked crust with homemade pizza sauce, some TVP that I rehydrated in a "beefy" broth, and sauteed turnip greens, squash, red bell pepper, and Vidalia onions. Then I baked it all in my cast-iron skillet.


Wow! I'm proud of this creation. It was super good! The crust was just the right thickness, about the size of a deep dish pizza crust, and the combination of TVP "beef," sauce, and veggies was both hearty and healthy.

I will probably use kale next time though, instead of turnip greens. Turnip greens really need to be cooked down for about 45 minutes to get rid of their bitter taste, so the milder taste of kale works better when sauteéd. Since the turnip greens were sauteéd and then baked, they weren't terribly bitter on the pizza. But I think kale would be the best green for this recipe.

25 comments:

VeganCowGirl said...

YOU are brilliant! I love love love this recipe Bianca!
What a wicked combo, cornbread and pizza toppings! Thank you Thank you Thank you! Can I preorder???

thedalyn said...

I second the request for a pre-order!

Unknown said...

you've awoken my need for kale. it's been a while!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

This looks fantastic! Great idea. :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

You should be EXTREMELY proud of that creation - it's BEYOND phenomenal!!

jessy said...

dayyuuuum, Bianca! this sounds like the most glorious creation of goodness, ever! it looks amazing - and all the toppings are my favs! mmmmmmmmmmm! you're so creative - that's so awesome! i'd be super proud of this pizza, too! :D

Anonymous said...

Yum! The pizza looks delicious. I love cooking with iron skillets. Hope you have a great week.

Krys

Anonymous said...

That's awesome Bianca! Wow. I have never tried turnip greens... But pizza in a skillet is the best encouragement!

Anonymous said...

Vegan cornbread and pizza...the best of both worlds!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

WOW! That looks awesome! So creative!

Sheridan said...

BRILLIANT! You're making this next time I visit. Done and done. Hahahaa....

Marisa L. S. said...

Wow sounds awesome!

Katy said...

WOW! What a stupendous idea! Do you deliver???

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

We Southerners love our cornbread. This will definitely be a hit in your cookbook!!

Anonymous said...

This looks so good! I make a polenta-crust pizza, but I don't think it's ever looked as good as yours!

The Voracious Vegan said...

You are a vegan genius! I love this idea. It is a real stunner and I bet it is delicious as well. Thanks for sharing this awesome idea.

J said...

I don't think there is much that is more Southern than cornbread. What a great idea too! I can't wait for this cookbook to come out.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah! This is a dish after my own heart. cornbread is awesome and pizza is awesome, so this recipe is awesome squared! I am so hungry now!

Jen said...

i love the creative juices that veganism gives us! way to go with that recipe. i'm curious, what about collards and butter beans? it wouldn't be a pizza per se so much as a comfort fud casserole, but i think the flavor of all those things would be awesome as well.

Amey said...

oh YUM.
looks so good....
mmmm.

i'm always amazed with people who come up with recipes on their own. So creative!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

See, there ya go, making me hungry again.

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

BIANCA THOSE PICTURES>>> THAT RECIPE!!! ITS NOT FAIR!!! I WANT IT! ahhahaha
your so creative and i seriously admire you staying vegan in the un-veg south!

keep up the good work and let us know the SECOND the book comes outtt

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

also... ive been wondering... is that tattoo on your page real????

Anonymous said...

Cornbread pizza - sign me up!

I bought some organic kale this week - never had it before, so I a=psyched to try it.

Erin said...

You are seriously my food hero. That pizza looks amazing!